WHAT IS A SPORTS MOUTHGUARD?
A Sports mouthguard is a removable dental appliance that fits over the upper teeth and gums to prevent and reduce injuries such as tooth loss or fracture and lacerations to the mouth and gums.
WHAT ARE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A PROPERLY FITTED SPORTS MOUTH GUARD?
1. Durable, at least 3mm thickness to keep the jaws separated.
2. Comfortable snug fit.
3. Wearer can speak and breathe easily
4. Wearer should not have to clench their teeth together to keep it in place.
WHAT DOES A MOUTHGUARD DO?
1. Protects teeth, gums and jaws from sports related injuries resulting from a blow to the face.
2. Prevents loss or fracturing of teeth in sports where equipment can come in contact with a players mouth and teeth.
3. Protects top and bottom teeth from severe clenching which may cause fractures, excessive wear or injury.